Health and wellbeing


Being -

  • physically healthy
  • mentally well
  • staying safe

are all important. If you need support around accessing health services such as -

  • GP
  • dentist
  • optician

and so on contact your personal advisor in the first instance. There are a range of services and support you can access to help to maintain or improve your general health and wellbeing as well as some more specialised services should you become unwell.

Your personal advisor is always there to talk if you have any worries and can help you to access some help if you need it. They can also provide information about health services in your local community.

Often, when people think about their health they think about physical health but your mental health and wellbeing are just as important. Being happy and being active are 2 things we want you to feel and be.

The Leaving Care service will also provide you with a Health Passport that contains important information such as -

  • illnesses you have as a child
  • immunisations you have had
  • any other health issues you may have had

Your personal advisor can help you apply for a Health Cost Certificate (HC1) or a Medical Exemption Certificate if you need one.

Emotional wellbeing

If you feel that you are unhappy or may be struggling to cope with things, you can access a range of talking therapies through Lets Talk. You can refer yourself or ask your personal advisor to help you with this.

You can also contact SHOUT by texting ‘SHOUT’ to 85258, see Give us a shout or KOOTH - which is an online mental health support for young people up to age 25.

If you are struggling with low self-esteem struggling to -

  • make friends
  • anxiety
  • low mood

your personal advisor can also refer you to the Social Prescribing Service, which is a personalised service that helps you to improve your -

  • health
  • wellbeing
  • social welfare

The Social Prescribing Service can connect you to a variety of -

  • local community services
  • groups
  • activities

best suited to meet your needs.

The Leaving Care Service also offers a regular walking group and further information can be gained through Room 42.

Live It Memberships (Tonic Cards)

Young people up to the age of 21 years can access a Tonic Card which will get you access to Hull Culture and Leisure facilities like gyms and some classes.

There are discounts for some activities like ice skating too. If you do not have a Tonic Card already get in touch with your personal advisor who will arrange for one to be posted out to you.

Hobbies and interests

If you have a hobby or interest you would like to investigate, or are a member of a club or team, talk to your personal advisor who can help you look for a team or club or even help with membership fees and clothing or equipment.

Mental Health

The Humber Mental Health team can offer young people assessments around their Complex and Emotional Needs (CENS) and work with personal advisor to offer support and signpost to relevant mental health services to ensure that you get the support you require in relation to your mental health and emotional wellbeing.

A worker from the CENS team also attends the drop in on a Friday.

If you are in a crisis and need someone to talk to you can contact the Mental Health Advice and Support team - 0800 138 0990 - available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

What they offer varies such as -

  • ongoing phone calls
  • face-to-face
  • assessments such as admission to hospital
  • crisis pad

You can access the crisis pad, call before 6pm.

You can access the mental health liaison service by presenting at A&E especially if you are not feeling safe.

Feeling suicidal is a medical emergency - contact 999 if you cannot get to A&E.

You can contact the Samaritans on 116 123 - they operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Drugs and Alcohol

ReFresh is a young people’s drug and alcohol service providing confidential support for young people up to the age of 18 who live, study or work in Hull.

ReNew offer drug and alcohol support services for young people 18 years and over. ReNew have an 18 to 25 year old transition worker, they will work with transfers from ReFresh as well as young people aged 18 to 25 who have been referred to ReNew.

This transition worker will be more community based and will be present at Kenworthy House once a week on a Tuesday and will be available for you to meet with in an informal setting, speak to your personal advisor for more information.

Sexual Health

For young people over 19 years of age you can get advice and support around sexual health from MESMAC.

Get in touch

Monday to Thursday - 9.30am to 4.30pm Friday - 9.30 am to 4pm

Address: Kenworthy House, 98-104 George Street, Hull, HU1 3DT

Telephone: 01482 615 650

Out of hours

Emergency only contact - Emergency Duty Team

Telephone: 01482 300 304